Iris Alfera Obituary: On June 25, 2023, emergency services responded to a distress call at the residence of Jacoby, the father of Iris Alfera, and his girlfriend, Owens.
The 1-year-old girl was discovered unresponsive at their home.
Following the emergency response, Iris was initially transported to UPMC Jameson Hospital and later airlifted to UPMC Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh. Tragically, Iris succumbed to her condition on June 29.
The 18-month-old died at UPMC Children’s Hospital.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office told police she tested positive for acetone in her blood. Her cause of death was ruled as acetone poisoning, and her manner of death was determined to be homicide.
The medical examiner’s investigation revealed that Iris’s untimely demise resulted from fatally elevated levels of acetone in her bloodstream, leading to a determination of homicide.
The presence of acetone caused the infant to experience organ failure, and it was ascertained that she had been exposed to acetone shortly before being brought to the hospital.
Iris Alfera Obituary: Aleisia Owens Responsible For Baby’s Death In 2023
Iris Alfera Obituary: Investigators discovered that leading up to Iris’s tragic death, Aleisia Owens had ingested numerous water beads, button-shaped batteries, and a metal screw.
The severity of the situation came to light when authorities examined Owens’ phone, revealing a series of incriminating web searches, notably exploring the effects of acetone ingestion on a child.
New Castle Police Chief Robert Salem emphasized the significance of Owens’ phone searches as a pivotal piece of evidence in the investigation.
Subsequently, Owens now faces charges of criminal homicide, endangering the welfare of a child, and aggravated assault. She has been denied bail.
“I hope the baby rests in peace,” expressed one neighbor, reflecting the collective sorrow within the community.
Along the street where Iris resided with her father and Owens, signs demanding “justice for baby Iris” serve as a poignant reminder of the tragedy.
Chief Salem acknowledged the profound impact on the community, stating, “It saddened the community; it angered us.
A lot of people in the community wanted immediate justice.” The sentiment reflects the community’s shared grief and desire for accountability in the face of such a heart-wrenching incident.
Incriminating Google Searches Before Death Of Boyfriend’s Toddler
Throughout the investigation, law enforcement discovered that between March 30 and April 1, Iris ingested over 20 “water beads,” three “button” type batteries, and a metal screw, as reported by investigators.
Examining phone records, investigators revealed that Owens had conducted numerous Google searches from February to June, focusing on topics directly associated with the actions leading to Iris’s tragic death.
These searches included inquiries about the dangers of children ingesting acetone or nail polish, poisonous beauty products, the availability of “water beads near me,” toxic products for babies and kids, the consequences of a baby swallowing a button battery, medications harmful to children, medications inappropriate for infants, and more.
According to the complaint, Owens also sought information on how to pass a polygraph test.
Owens faces serious charges, including criminal homicide, aggravated assault of a child under 6 years of age, endangering the welfare of children, and aggravated assault of a child under 13 years of age. If convicted, she could face a life sentence.